250g/8 oz Mascarpone
A packet of Savoiardi (Lady Fingers)
2 Tablespoons of Sugar
50g Dark Chocolate
2 Tbsp Chocolate Milk Powder
200ml whole milk
100g White Chocolate
Zest from one Orange
- Put the whole milk and chocolate milk powder in a saucepan and heat gently. Add the orange zest and once mixed simmer for a couple of minutes then take off the heat and leave to cool. Strain to remove the zest.
- Chop the chocolate finely. Do not grate. The texture adds to the dish.
- Separate the eggs into yolks and whites.
- Add a tiny pinch of salt to the whites. Beat the egg whites until they are stiff. Set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar to form a creamy paste. Add the mascarpone and stir. Gently fold in the egg whites. Set aside.
- Dip each lady finger in the chocolate milk/orange mix to soak (not too much . . . they shouldn’t be soggy). Arrange the soaked biscuits into one layer in a serving dish.
- Once you have the layer of soaked biscuits cover with a layer of the cream mix.
- Sprinkle with the chocolate. Repeat the process until the dish is full.
- In each layer you could also add a few pieces of caramelised orange zest (see below*). This adds a little crunch to contrast with the all the cream and adds more ornage flavour to the dish.
- Finish by decorating with a couple of slices of orange.
- Cool in the fridge for at least two hours before serving.
- Please note that this is a dish that should be eaten the same day that it is made as it is made with raw eggs and other dairy products.
*Optional: Caramelised Orange Zest: In a saucepan put 20ml water, 2 tbsp sugar and the zest of one
orange. Heat gently until the sugar melts then becomes a syrup. Take off the heat, seive so that you are
left with the sticky zest. Place the zest on parchment paper on a tray then put in the oven for an hour on
a very low heat. Leave to cool and you’ll have crunchy pieces of zest which you can then crumble and
add into your tiramisù layers. It can be kept in a jar in the fridge for a couple of weeks so can be made in
Serves 4 – 6